Thursday, September 13, 2012

I {heart} Funky Furniture

There are ups and downs to living in a college town. For instance, Craigslist is always picked over which means getting your hands on a real craigslist treasure is hard to do without paying well over the list price. Also, the furniture section is a constantly rotating selection of  saggy threadbare sofas and particle board desks. But there are up's too...Sometimes you are able to score an amazing piece of cabinetry that is not only nearly free but also holds some of our college town's history.
Behold...
Complete with high gloss hunter green paint, a suspicious smelling drawer and 11 unmatched antique glass knobs...stunning isn't she!

As soon as I saw the blurry photo of her on Craigslist I called my husband and told him it had to be mine, and he had to pick it up on his way home from work. The gal he got it from said it had been in her family for a long time but she had no idea where it came from.
Once it was home I started cleaning and cleaning and cleaning that's when I discovered the little brass plaque on the side that said 'Cal Humboldt' with an inventory #. This bedraggled beauty had been a part of a college laboratory, and I even remembered seeing something similar in one of the geology labs. Judging by the construction I think it is from the late 20's or early 30's. The unmatched glass knobs and streaky green color had been added later by the mother of the woman we purchased it from.
 
Out came my old fashion Milk Paint in Snow White and I set to work with a vision 
(one my hubby had trouble seeing!)
As many of you know milk paint does not require primer, but I did lightly sand this high gloss piece and then wipe it down with TSP substitute. I painted 3 thin coats of milk paint sanding lightly between each coat, as I wanted to build up the paint for a more durable finish. After painting, sanding and distressing I waxed the piece with an old T shirt and Trewax furniture wax.

For the hardware I chose to re-use most of the beautiful antique glass knobs, but for the top 3 drawers I used some antique chrome bin pulls my mother in law gave me a few years back. I love the way the chrome bin pulls remind me of it's collegiate past while the sparkly glass knobs add a little pop of contrast.

I love the way the piece looks weathered and funky without looking too contrived. The former green color peeks through the white paint in just enough places and the soft focus quality of the milk paint really add a much needed texture to my living room.

I get such a kick telling people that my husband and I share an alma mater with this chest, and since we do not display diplomas around here it's a great reminder of the the musty classrooms and labs we spent years in!
Sharing at:
 Furniture Feature Friday
& rollerskates!

8 comments:

  1. Your vision in seeing what could be done with this old green chest amazes me. By the way, can you identify the artwork for us? (hehe)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a COOL piece! You did a great job with it. have a great weekend~

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is way too cool. It looks gorgeous! Even though I love transforming furniture I'm not sure I would have seen the vision here either :) You did a beautiful job! I love that it has such a cool history, I feel like I need to go search for some furniture from my old uni, but I don't remember any of it ever looking this good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a terrific job. The piece itself is fabulous! I would be delighted if your would link to Potpourri Friday, in progress!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This piece is GORGEOUS - what an awesome find
    Love the color you chose ( I haven't tried milk paint yet - but the more I see of it the more I realize I have to jump on the bandwagon!!! )
    Thanks for sharing - definitely your newest follower - would love to have you come by for a visit and follow back when you have the time!
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  6. THIS TURNED OUT BEAUTIFUL, I LOVE IT AND WOULD LOVE TO FEATURE IT, IF THIS WOULD BE OK PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
    LAUREN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all the love! You are more than welcome to feature it, please send me a link after you do I'd love to check it out!xoxo

      Delete
  7. An awesome find...you have done terrific job.Hotel furniture

    ReplyDelete

A kind word always brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...