Thursday, October 21, 2010

Brains, It's whats for dinner

This very smart dish gets my boys so excited that they ask for it all year! it's hot, it's gooey, it's braaaaiiins!
well actually, it cauliflower,
but in the hallo-centrics kitchen it's my family's favorite Halloween themed meal. When walking through the grocery store my son will beg me for brains for dinner and I cannot help but laugh at those taken aghast around us.
I learned this recipe as a child and have put my own twist on it through the years. Instead of cream of mushroom soup and Velveeta, I use a simple cheese laced bechamel. It is cheaper and in my opinion much easier. Plus how scary is velveeta?
anywho, here is how I make it but a simple google search for "cauliflower brain" will turn up a myriad of other ways to cook up some brains.

Veggie Brains:
1 head of cauliflower
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp flour
1/2 c. milk
1 chopped garlic clove
1 tsp. dijon mustard
1/2 c.  Grated cheese of choice (hopefully not Velfreaka) I use sharp cheddar and a little parmesan
1/2 tbsp  Kosher salt
Few twist fresh ground black pepper
a few dashes of smoked paprika (optional)

Place a cleaned and trimmed Whole head of cauliflower in crock-pot or regular pot over med heat.
 Cook cauliflower until tender and your kitchen throughly smells. turn off heat and let rest.
 Place butter and flour in saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until flour is lightly browned. Add milk, mustard, and garlic and wisk until well combined. When mixture is slightly thickend add grated cheese and spices, stir and turn off heat. Pour over cauliflower and serve. Feeds approx. 4 zombies I served this with a really amazing romaine, bleu cheese, ham, pecan and pomegranate seed salad with a white balsamic dressing but you can serve yours with what ever you want. Enjoy!


See how the zombie-munchkins are drawn to the brains, I barley got to snap this picture before they attacked it!
By far the best part of this meal is how many times I get to say "hush, and eat your brains" or " How are your brains?" or the very polite, "May I please have some more brains"


Peace and cheesy brains!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A kind word always brightens my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...